Victory Hall - Valley Street, Downtown Scottsville, VA 1-6-13
Built in 1918 as the Victory Hall, a showplace for legitimate theater, vaudeville, and other live performances. It was designed by local architect D. Wiley Anderson and was named to commemorate the end of WWI. Movies were soon added to the entertainment mix, but the venue, later renamed the Victory Theatre, continued to feature live performances, until its closure by the early-1960’s. It was on the circuit for up-and-coming musicians such as Patsy Cline. The Carter Family were regulars as was Sunshine Sue with the Old Dominion Barn Dance.
At that time, the building was converted into the Scottsville Municipal Building, housing government offices and meeting space. Today, the restored Victory Theatre building is home to live music, movies and other live entertainment, bringing back the theater to its original use.