Second Phase of the Farmhouse - Meadow Farm - Glen Allen, VA
He doubled the size of the house with an addition to the west side between 1819-1820. Mosby Sheppard had a story and a half addition constructed on a raised basement making it identical to the first section and giving the home a central hall plan. Mosby and his wife, Mary, ran the farm, raised and educated their children and participated in community affairs. Mosby served as a Justice of the Peace and Sheriff of Henrico County. Together, they supervised the household and farm work of 21 slaves. At the time of Mosby's death in 1831, he left the majority of his estate to his wife Mary, not a typical practice for the time. He wrote that "he just as soon have the estate under Mary's control as that of any other person."