Rail Side of the N&W Train Station - Farmville, VA
In the decade following the Civil War the South Side Railroad was merged into the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio Railroad (AM&O). In the early 1880's', the AM&O fell on financial hardship was purchased by the E.W. Clark & Company of Philadelphia who renamed it the Norfolk & Western Railway. During the years following the N&W's acquisition of the Virginian Railway in 1959, the old mainline began to play an even more important role in the flow of rail traffic between Tidewater and the coal fields.