Ruffner Hall - Longwood University - Farmville, VA
The flagship of Longwood University – Ruffner Hall with its beautiful Rotunda – was completely destroyed by the Great Fire of 2001 during a major renovation. All of the historic memorabilia, paintings, plaques, and other mementos, including the dome paintings of the interior of the rotunda dome, had been removed prior to the fire. The original Ruffner Hall was constructed in the mid to late 1800’s and the Rotunda was built in 1905. The new Ruffner Hall was rebuilt to its former splendor based on the original plans and blueprints obtained from the state archives in Richmond. Although the new structure looks exactly like the old Ruffner on the outside, the inside now features a learning environment for students and faculty. Completed in early 2005, the new complex encompasses over 83,000 square feet and provides 20 classrooms, 63 faculty offices and 28 offices for the Provost and staff of the Office of Academic Affairs. Once again, the gold dome of the Rotunda shines as the hallmark of Longwood University.