St. Thomas Episcopal Church - Historical Orange, Virginia - 9/22/12
Built in 1833, this church is a Classical example of the Jeffersonian-inspired Roman Revival style. This is the only church Thomas Jefferson ever designed. The parish's original Church was built in 1740 outside of this district and no longer exists. During the Winter Campaign of 1862, General Robert E. Lee worshiped at St. Thomas where a plaque commemorates his pew. Lee is known to have tied his horse, Traveller, to a locust tree on the church grounds when attending St. Thomas’ and a locust continues to stand at that spot today.