Cotton Khaki Uniform, 1901 - Casemate Museum, Fort Monroe - Hampton, VA
This uniform was a departure from what soldiers wore for most of the 19th century. The color and material were better suited for service in hot, tropical climates than the blue wool that had been the standard. The pith helmet was not a new innovation, and this pattern dated to 1890. The chevrons, in artillery red, were still very large and worn in the traditional manner. Although all artiller was still in one branch, the collor insignia reflects the Army's recognition of its evolution to two corps. The soldier is armed with a 30 caliber Krag-Jorgansen rifle, the first magazine-fed rifle adopted by the Army. The Mills cartridge belt was an improvement over old cartridge boxes, and it was first adopted in 1887. In 1910, the Army would replace all of its equipment with a new system of packs, straps, and accoutrements that did not change much through the Vietnam War. This uniform was worn by Corporal Chrisdie of the 37th Coast Artillery Company. Piror to February 1901 it was known as Battery A, 4th U.S.Artiller Regiment.