Bennehan House - Historic Stagville - Durham, NC
Original 1-1/2 story section built in 1787. Two-story section added in 1799. On the eve of the Civil War, the NC plantation holdings of the Bennehan and Cameron families were among the largest in the South. Approximately 900 slaves worked the land, which totaled almost 30,000 acres by 1860. Stagville, a plantation of several thousand acres, lay at the center of this enormous estate.